ChristianAnswers.Net WebBible Encyclopedia
- Genesis 2:4, “These are the generations,” means the “history.”
- Genesis 5:1, “The book of the generations,” means a family register, or history of Adam.
- Genesis 37:2, “The generations of Jacob” = the history of Jacob and his descendants.
- Genesis 7:1, “In this generation” = in this age.
- Psalm 49:19, “The generation of his fathers” = the dwelling of his fathers, i.e., the grave.
- Psalm 73:15, “The generation of thy children” = the contemporary race.
- Isa. 53:8, “Who shall declare his generation?” = His manner of life who shall declare? or rather = His race, posterity, shall be so numerous that no one shall be able to declare it.
- In Matthew 1:17, the word means a succession or series of persons from the same stock.
- Matthew 3:7, “Generation of vipers” = brood of vipers.
- Matthew 24:34, “This generation” = the persons then living contemporary with Christ.
- 1 Pet. 2:9, “A chosen generation” = a chosen people.
- The Hebrews seem to have reckoned time by the generation. In the time of Abraham a generation was an hundred years, thus: Gen. 15:16, “In the fourth generation” = in four hundred years (compare verse 13 and Exodus 12:40). In Deut. 1:35 and 2:14 a generation is a period of thirty-eight years.