"I have seen anti-creationists claim that all true scientists support Evolution, and that those who support Creation are not really scientists and that their credentials are less than legitimate. Is this true?"
It is true that during the 20th century, many scientists accepted Evolutionism, in part or in whole. As secular science writer Richard Milton recently observed:
"An important factor in bringing about the universal dominance and acceptance of Darwinian evolution has been that virtually every eminent professional scientist appointed to posts in the life sciences in the last 40 or 50 years, in the English-speaking world, has been a convinced Darwinist. …These men, as well as occupying powerful and important academic teaching positions, were also prolific and important writers whose influence has been widespread in forming the consensus." 1
These names include such men as Gavin de Beer, Julian Huxley, J.B.S. Haldane, C.H. Waddington, Ernst Mayr, Theodosius Dobzhansky and George Simpson.
Despite strong pressure to accept evolutionism, many intelligent and experienced scientists either openly or secretly dismiss Evolution as highly unlikely or impossible. In the 1980s, researcher and lecturer David Watson noted an increasing trend that continues today, disturbing those who want evolutionism to be perceived as the accepted scientific consensus:
"…A tidal wave of new books… threaten to shatter that confidence - titles like Darwin Retried (1971), Macbeth; The Neck of the Giraffe: Where Darwin Went Wrong (1982), Hitching; The Great Evolution Mystery (1983), Taylor; The Bone Peddlers: Selling Evolution (1984), Fix; Darwin Was Wrong - A Study in Probabilities (1984), Cohen; Darwinism: The Refutation of a Myth (1987), Lovtrup; and Adam and Evolution (1984), Pitman. Not one of these books was written from a Christian-apologetic point of view: they are concerned only with scientific truth - as was Sir Ernst Chain when he called evolution 'a fairy tale'." 2
As Science Digest reported:
"Scientists who utterly reject Evolution may be one of our fastest-growing controversial minorities… Many of the scientists supporting this position hold impressive credentials in science." 3
One example is the late Dr. Arthur E. Wilder-Smith, an honored scientist with an amazing three earned doctorates. He held many distinguished positions. 4 A former Evolutionist, Dr. Wilder-Smith debated various leading scientists on the subject throughout the world. In his opinion, the Evolution model did not fit as well with the established facts of science as did the Creation model of intelligent design.
"The Evolutionary model says that it is not necessary to assume the existence of anything, besides matter and energy, to produce life. That proposition is unscientific. We know perfectly well that if you leave matter to itself, it does not organize itself - in spite of all the efforts in recent years to prove that it does." 5
Secular researcher Richard Milton summarized the current world situation: "Darwinism has never had much appeal for science outside of the English-speaking world, and has never appealed much to the American public (although popular with the U.S. scientific establishment in the past). However, its ascendancy in science, in both Britain and America, has been waning for several decades as its grip has weakened in successive areas: geology; paleontology; embryology; comparative anatomy. Now even geneticists are beginning to have doubts. It is only in mainstream molecular biology and zoology that Darwinism retains serious enthusiastic supporters. As growing numbers of scientists begin to drift away from neo-Darwinist ideas, the revision of Darwinism at the public level is long overdue, and is a process that I believe has already started." 6
Partial list of Creationist scientists
(past and present)
(Note: The following list is very incomplete. Inclusion of any person on this list is in no way an endorsement, nor does it necessarily indicate anything about their religious beliefs.)
- 600+ voting scientists of the Creation Research Society (voting membership requires at least an earned master's degree in a recognized area of science).
- 150 Ph.D. scientists and 300 other scientists with masters degrees in science or engineering are members of the Korea Association of Creation Research. The President of KACR is the distinguished scientist and Professor Young-Gil Kim of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. Ph.D. in Materials Science, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute / highly distinguished / inventor of various important high-tech alloys.
A more thorough list of current (and past) Creationist scientists is not provided for two reasons: (1) A complete list would be extremely lengthy, and (2) Some scientists would rather not have their name made public due to justified fear of job discrimination and persecution in today's atmosphere of limited academic freedom in Evolutionist-controlled institutions.
- Gerald E. Aardsma (physicist and radiocarbon dating)
- Louis Agassiz (helped develop the study of glacial geology and of ichthyology)
- Alexander Arndt (analytical chemist, etc.) [more info]
- Steven A. Austin (geologist and coal formation expert) [more info]
- Charles Babbage (helped develop science of computers / developed actuarial tables and the calculating machine)
- Francis Bacon (developed the Scientific Method)
- Thomas G. Barnes (physicist) [more info]
- Robert Boyle (helped develop sciences of chemistry and gas dynamics)
- Wernher von Braun (pioneer of rocketry and space exploration)
- David Brewster (helped develop science of optical mineralogy)
- Arthur V. Chadwick (geologist) [more info]
- Melvin Alonzo Cook (physical chemist, Nobel Prize nominee) [more info]
- Georges Cuvier (helped develop sciences of comparative anatomy and vertebrate paleontology)
- Humphry Davy (helped develop science of thermokinetics)
- Donald B. DeYoung (physicist, specializing in solid-state, nuclear science and astronomy) [more info]
- Henri Fabre (helped develop science of insect entomology)
- Michael Faraday (helped develop science of electromagnetics / developed the Field Theory / invented the electric generator)
- Danny R. Faulkner (astronomer) [more info]
- Ambrose Fleming (helped develop science of electronics / invented thermionic valve)
- Robert V. Gentry (physicist and chemist) [more info]
- Duane T. Gish (biochemist) [more info]
- John Grebe (chemist) [more info]
- Joseph Henry (invented the electric motor and the galvanometer / discovered self-induction)
- William Herschel (helped develop science of galactic astronomy / discovered double stars / developed the Global Star Catalog)
- George F. Howe (botanist) [more info]
- D. Russell Humphreys (award-winning physicist) [more info]
- James P. Joule (developed reversible thermodynamics)
- Johann Kepler (helped develop science of physical astronomy / developed the Ephemeris Tables)
- John W. Klotz (geneticist and biologist) [more info]
- Leonid Korochkin (geneticist) [more info]
- Lane P. Lester (geneticist and biologist) [more info]
- Carolus Linnaeus (helped develop sciences of taxonomy and systematic biology / developed the Classification System)
- Joseph Lister (helped develop science of antiseptic surgery)
- Frank L. Marsh (biologist) [more info]
- Matthew Maury (helped develop science of oceanography/hydrography)
- James Clerk Maxwell (helped develop the science of electrodynamics)
- Gregor Mendel (founded the modern science of genetics)
- Samuel F. B. Morse (invented the telegraph)
- Isaac Newton (helped develop science of dynamics and the discipline of calculus / father of the Law of Gravity / invented the reflecting telescope)
- Gary E. Parker (biologist and paleontologist) [more info]
- Blaise Pascal (helped develop science of hydrostatics / invented the barometer)
- Louis Pasteur (helped develop science of bacteriology / discovered the Law of Biogenesis / invented fermentation control / developed vaccinations and immunizations)
- William Ramsay (helped develop the science of isotopic chemistry / discovered inert gases)
- John Ray (helped develop science of biology and natural science)
- Lord Rayleigh (helped develop science of dimensional analysis)
- Bernhard Riemann (helped develop non-Euclidean geometry)
- James Simpson (helped develop the field of gynecology / developed the use of chloroform)
- Nicholas Steno (helped develop the science of stratigraphy)
- George Stokes (helped develop science of fluid mechanics)
- Charles B. Thaxton (chemist) [more info]
- William Thompson (Lord Kelvin) (helped develop sciences of thermodynamics and energetics / invented the Absolute Temperature Scale / developed the Trans-Atlantic Cable)
- Larry Vardiman (astrophysicist and geophysicist) [more info]
- Leonardo da Vinci (helped develop science of hydraulics)
- Rudolf Virchow (helped develop science of pathology)
- A.J. (Monty) White (chemist) [more info]
- A.E. Wilder-Smith (chemist and pharmacology expert) [more info]
- John Woodward (helped develop the science of paleontology)
See our partial list of Creation-scientists with earned doctorates in science - Go…
Partial list of Creation-science organizations and addresses
- Institute for Creation Research, P.O. Box 2667, El Cajon, California 92021, U.S.A. - www.icr.org
- Creation Research Society, P.O. Box 969, Ashland, Ohio 44805-0969, U.S.A. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Geoscience Research Institute, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California 92350, U.S.A.
- Access Research Network, P.O. Box 38069, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80937-8069, U.S.A.
- Answers in Genesis, Australia (formerly Creation Science Foundation), P.O. Box 6302, Acacia Ridge DC, Queensland 4110, AUSTRALIA.
- Answers in Genesis, P.O. Box 6330, Florence, Kentucky 41022-9937, U.S.A. - www.AnswersInGenesis.org
- Creation Science Association, P.O. Box 821, Station A, Scarborough, Ontario M1K 5C8, CANADA.
- Creation Magazine UK, Ltd., P.O. Box 770, Highworth, Wiltshire SN6 7TU, UNITED KINGDOM.
- Korea Association for Creation Research, Olympian Building, Room 811, 196-7 Jamilbou-dorg, Songpua-Ku, Seoul, SOUTH KOREA.
- Bible and Science of Japan, c/o Dr. Masami Usami, 1-4-41 Kamimito, Mito-Shi, Ibaraki-Ken 310, JAPAN.
- Christian Center for Science and Apologetics, ul. Gogolia 33-8, Simferopol, 95011, Crimea, UKRAINE - http://west.crimea.com/~creation/
- Richard Milton, Shattering the Myths of Darwinism (Rochester, Vermont: Park Street Press, 1992, 1997), p. 12.
- David C.C. Watson, “Book Reviews,” Creation Research Society Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 4 (Terre Haute, Indiana: March 1989), p. 200 (emphasis added).]
- Larry Hatfield, “Educators Against Darwin,” Science Digest Special (Winter 1979), pp. 94-96.
- Arthur Ernest Wilder-Smith: Chemist / Lecturer / Creationist / Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry at University of Reading, England (1941) / Dr.es.Sc. in pharmacological sciences from Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) in Zurich / D.Sc. in pharmacological sciences from University of Geneva (1964) / F.R.I.C. (Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chemistry) / Professorships held at numerous institutions including: University of Illinois Medical School Center (Visiting Full Professor of Pharmacology, 1959-61, received 3 "Golden apple" awards for the best course of lectures), University of Geneva School of Medicine, University of Bergen (Norway) School of Medicine, Hacettepe University (Ankara, Turkey) Medical School, etc. / Former Director of Research for a Swiss pharmaceutical company / Presented the 1986 Huxley Memorial Lecture at the invitation of the University of Oxford / Author or co-author of over 70 scientific publications and more than 30 books published in 17 languages / Dr. Wilder-Smith was also a NATO three-star general. He was featured in the motion picture series ORIGINS: How the World Came to Be.
- Arthur E. Wilder-Smith in Willem J.J. Glashouwer and Paul S. Taylor, The Origin of the Universe (PO Box 200, Gilbert AZ 85299 USA: Eden Communications and Standard Media, 1983).
- Richard Milton, Shattering the Myths of Darwinism (Rochester, Vermont: Park Street Press, 1992, 1997), p. 277.
For Further Reading
- Henry M. Morris, A History of Modern Creationism (Santee, California: Master Books, 1984) (surveys the origin and history of the Creation Research Society, the Institute for Creation Research, and various other Creationist organizations in the U.S. and overseas), and Men of Science - Men of God (Santee, California: Master Books, 1982), 128 pp. (includes biographies of 65 prominent “Bible-believing” scientists of the past).
- Ann Lamont, 21 Great Scientists Who Believed the Bible (Acacia Ridge, Australia: Answers in Genesis), pp. 9-12.
- Paul A. Bartz, "Religious Bigots Expel Scientific Giants from Classroom!: Kepler, Pasteur and Maxwell Replaced with Darwin, Huxley," Bible-Science Newsletter, Vol. 27, No. 3 (Minneapolis: Bible-Science Association, March 1989), pp. 3, 14.
[ If this information has been helpful, please prayerfully consider a donation to help pay the expenses for making this faith-building service available to you and your family! Donations are tax-deductible. ]
Author: Paul S. Taylor, Films for Christ. Adapted from The Illustrated ORIGINS Answer Book [info]
Copyright © 1998, Films for Christ, All Rights Reserved - except as noted on attached “Usage and Copyright” page that grants ChristianAnswers.Net users generous rights for putting this page to work in their homes, personal witnessing, churches and schools.
Christian Answers Network
PO Box 200
Gilbert AZ 85299 Submit your Questions