The Bible states that the Creation of the entire cosmos (universe) took place in six days. It is clear from the context that these were literal days, not figurative. Experts have failed to build a biblically-defensible case otherwise.
Order of Creation in Christian and Jewish Biblical Records
(book of Genesis 1-2)
- Watery, formless planet Earth suspended in the darkness and the void of space (no sun or any other stars, no moon, no planets yet existed—except for Earth).
- Separation of light from the darkness—and the first indication that the planet is rotating (day and night cycle produced).
- Formation of Earth's atmosphere, separating the water into two parts:
(a) oceanic and subterranean water
(b) atmospheric water.
- Dry land and oceans.
- System to water the entire land surface using subterranean waters (involving springs or mist, or both).
- Vegetation, seed-bearing plants, trees that bear fruit.
- Garden of Eden (probably).
- Moon - complete with established orbit so as to mark passage of time (months, seasons, and years).
- Stars and other planets.
- Water creatures of all kinds. (All that had “the breath of life” were vegetarian.)
- Birds (all vegetarian).
- Land animals (all vegetarian): (a) creatures that move close to the ground (small animals), (b) large animals, and (c) animals of use to man as livestock.
- First man, Adam.
- First woman, Eve (formed from Adam).
- What was Adam, the first man, really like? This popular answer is in our children's section, but it's written on a level that adults will enjoy.
- Do Genesis 1 and 2 contradict each other? Answer
- Should Genesis be taken literally? Answer
- Does God expect us to read Genesis 1-11 as a record of authentic historical fact, or is this simply a collection of parable-like stories? Answer
- Is the Bible clear about the age of the earth and universe? Answer
- Does the Hebrew text really refer to 24-hour periods in the Creation week? Answer
- Was the fourth day of creation twenty-four hours long? Answer
- Could all of the events recorded on the 6th day of creation really have taken place during a normal, 24-hour-type day? Answer
- Is the age of the Earth a “trivial” doctrinal point? Answer
- PROGRESSIVE CREATIONISM - Is it a viable option? Answer
- Progressive Creationism - Who is Hugh Ross and what does he teach? Answer
- THEISTIC EVOLUTION - Is it biblical? Answer
- GAP THEORY - What is it? And is it a good theory? Answer
- How should Christians interpret Genesis 1-11? Answer
Author: Paul S. Taylor, Films for Christ.
Copyright © 1998, 2013, Films for Christ, All Rights Reserved - except as noted on attached “Usage and Copyright” page that grants ChristianAnswers.Net users generous rights for putting this page to work in their homes, personal witnessing, churches and schools.
Christian Answers Network
PO Box 200
Gilbert AZ 85299 Submit your Questions