What is a…
Meaning: a scholar
The name disciple was sometimes applied to the followers of John the Baptist (Matthew 9:14), and of the Pharisees (22:16), but principally to the followers of Christ.
A disciple of Christ is one who…
believes his doctrine
rests on his sacrifice
imbibes his spirit
imitates his example ( Matthew 10:24; Luke 14:26-27, 33; John 6:69).
Who were the 12 specifically chosen closest disciples of Jesus Christ?
- Matthew (aka Levi)
- Mark (aka Marcus, John, and John Mark)
- John, a son of Zebedee and brother of James the Greater
- James, son of Zebedee and brother of John
- Peter (aka Simon and Simon Peter)
- Simon the zealot (aka Zelotes)
- Bartholomew (Nathanael)
- James, son of Alphaeus
- Judas (also called Lebbaeus or Thaddaeus)—not the same as Judas Iscariot
- Judas Iscariot (replaced by Matthias)
Article Version: March 25, 2018