law in the Bible
Meaning: a rule of action
The Law of Nature
This is the will of God for human conduct, founded on the moral difference of things. It is discoverable by natural light (Romans 1:20; 2:14-15).
This law binds all men at all times. It is generally identified by the term “conscience,” or the capacity of being influenced by the moral relations of things.
The Ceremonial Law
This is prescribed under the Old Testament rites and ceremonies of worship for the Israelites. This law was obligatory only till Christ, of whom these rites were typical, had finished His work (Hebrews 7:9, 11; 10:1; Ephesians 2:16).
It was fulfilled rather than abrogated by the Gospel.
This is law which is directed the civil policy of the Hebrew nation.
The Moral Law
This law is the revealed will of God for human conduct, binding on all men to the end of time. It was made known at Mount Sinai. It is perfect (Psalm 19:7), perpetual (Matthew 5:17-18), holy (Romans 7:12), good, spiritual (14), and exceeding broad (Psalm 119:96).
Although binding on all, we are not under it as a covenant of works (Galatians 3:17). (See COMMANDMENTS.)
Positive Laws are precepts founded only on the will of God. They are right because God commands them.
Moral positive laws
These are commanded by God because they are right.
Answers about law in the Bible
- What is SIN AND WICKEDNESS? Answer
- What is the LAW OF MOSES? Answer
- What are THE 10 COMMANDMENTS? Answer
- What are the DECREES OF GOD? Answer
- What is a LAWYER? Answer
- What is a JUDGE? Answer
- What is a JUDGMENT HALL? Answer
- What is a JUDGMENT SEAT? Answer
- What are JUDGMENTS OF GOD? Answer
- What is THE FINAL JUDGMENT? Answer
- What is JUSTICE? Answer
- What is the JUSTICE OF GOD? Answer
- What is JUSTIFICATION? Answer
- What is the NEW TESTAMENT? Answer
- What is SALVATION? Answer
- What is GRACE? Answer
- What is ATONEMENT? Answer
- What is the MEANS OF GRACE? Answer
Article Version: June 4, 2019