ChristianAnswers.Net WebBible Encyclopedia
light in the Bible
Light in great darkness, both physical and spiritual, is symbolic of true belief in God and the intense happiness it imparts.
“The people who were sitting in darkness saw a great Light,
And those who were sitting in the land and shadow of death,
Upon them a Light dawned.” —Matthew 4:16 NASB
“Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.” —Psalm 119:105 NKJV
“…If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” —Isaiah 8:20 NKJV
Dwelling place of God
He dwells in light inaccessible and unapproachable by man—total holiness, glory and unlimited power (omnipotence).
“…He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. …” —1 Timothy 6:15-16 NASB excerpt
Read: “The Man Who Really Wanted to See God”
Light, a visible effect of God’s nature and a symbol of it
Light is an evidence of His true glory, power, holiness, truth and wisdom.
- The Creator of light in the universe
“And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good…” (Genesis 1:3-4).
- “Father of lights” (James 1:17)
He made “great lights” (Gen. 1:16; Psa. 136:7)
- “…who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light” (I Peter 2:9 NKJV)
- “He who has eyes like a flame of fire” (Rev. 1:14-15; 2:18)
“I am THE LIGHT of the world” —John 8:12; 9:5
“He [John the Baptist] came as a witness, to testify about THE LIGHT, so that all might believe through him. He was not THE LIGHT, but he came to testify about THE LIGHT. There was THE TRUE LIGHT which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.” —John 1:7-9 NASB
As God’s prophet Malachi foretold of the Messiah…
But to you who fear My name
The Sun of Righteousness shall arise
With healing in His wings… —Malachi 4:2 NKJV excerpt
A light to bring revelation to the Gentiles,
And the glory of Your people Israel. —Luke 2:32 NKJV
On a high mountain with His disciples, Christ privatedly revealed a bit of His true nature and glory.
His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. …a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!” And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces and were greatly afraid. —Matthew 17:1-6 excerpt NKJV
The Apostle John was permitted to foresee the future New Jerusalem,
“The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it,
for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light.” —Revelation 21:23 NKJV
Daniel witnessed an angel with a face like lightning (Daniel 10:5-6).
The angel that rolled back the stone from Christ's tomb was radiating dazzling light (Matthew 28:3; Luke 24:4).
“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.” —Matthew 5:14 NKJV
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” —Matthew 5:16 KJV
“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” —Psalm 119:105
John the Baptist
John the Baptist gave wise and truthful instruction; Jesus said,
“He was the burning and shining lamp, and you were willing for a time to rejoice in his light” (John 5:35 NKJV).
“…thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.” —Col. 1:12 NKJV excerpt
“The city [New Jerusalem] had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it. Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there).” —Rev. 21:23-25 NKJV
Names of God related to light (examples)
- The Light (John 12:35-36; 1 Timothy 6:16; Revelation 21:23; 22:5)
- The True Light (John 1:9; 1 John 2:8 KJV, NKJV, NASB, ESV
- Light of the World (John 8:12 KJKV; John 9:5 NASB)
- Light of the Nations (‘Or Goyim) (Isaiah 42:6)
- Light of Israel (Isaiah 10:17; Psalm 27:1; Isaiah 10:17)
- Light of the Gentiles (Luke 2:32 KJV)
- The Dawn from on High (Luke 1:78 HCSB) / The Sunrise from on High —(Luke 1:78 NASB)
- Sun and Shield (Psa. 84:11)
- Sun of Righteousness (Malachi 4:2)
- The Father of Lights (James 1:17 KJV)
- He Who Commanded the Light to Shine Out of Darkness (2 Corinthians 4:6 KJV)
- He That Made Great Lights (Amos 5:8 KJV; Psalm 136:7; Genesis 1:16 KJV)
- The Star Out of Jacob (Numbers 24:17 KJV)
- The Bright Morning Star (Rev. 22:16 NASB, ESV)
- The Daystar (2 Peter 1:19 KJV) / The Morning Star (2 Pet. 1:19 NKJV, NASB, ESV)
- He who holds the seven stars in His right hand (Revelation 2:1 NKJV, NASB)
- The radiance of His Glory (Hebrews 1:3 NASB)
See other: Names of God
Satan, a deceiving “light”
Satan, the Great Deceiver and hateful enemy of God and mankind is filled with spiritual darkness. Part of his deception is to sometimes transform himself into an “angel of light” (2 Corinthians 11:14 NKJV), falsely appearing to be something good. To deceive many, the same is true of his evil false teachers and antichrists who also transform themselves into the appearance of “ministers of righteousness” (2 Cor. 11:15 NKJV).
Article Version: September 23, 2019