written “G-d” by pious Jews and some Christians
The name “God” is one of many names of the Divine Creator.
Origin of the word
The word “God” does not appear in the original Hebrew or Greek manuscripts of the Bible, as this particular name came into being much later in human history. “God” is an old English word which developed from an Indo-European word, meaning “that which is invoked”—which is also the predecessor of the German word Gott and the Danish “Gud,” both meaning “God.”
As such, the word is not an authentic name of our Creator, however, since it is so widely used in modern culture when referring to Him, Believers widely consider it best to treat it with similar respect to that of His actual names.
Original Hebrew and Greek words and their translation
Hebrew: 'El, from a word meaning to be strong
The Hebrew word YHWH (transliterated: yehovah or Jehovah) is another word often used to refer to our Creator. In the King James Version, it is usually translated as “LORD,” printed in small capital letters. This tradition has been adopted by most modern English translations.
► What are other NAMES of the one true God? Answer
God’s attributes and nature
God’s attributes are spoken of by some as absolute, i.e., such as belong to his essence as Jehovah, Jah, etc.; and relative, i.e., such as are ascribed to him with relation to his creatures. Others distinguish them into communicable attributes, i.e., those which can be imparted in degree to his creatures: goodness, holiness, wisdom, etc.; and incommunicable, which cannot be so imparted: independence, immutability, immensity, and eternity. They are by some also divided into natural attributes, eternity, immensity, etc.; and moral, holiness, goodness, etc.
- How can one God be three persons, yet one?
- Holy Ghost
- Son of God
- Is Jesus Christ really God? Answer
- Is Jesus Christ a man, or is he God? Answer
- If Jesus was the Son of God, why did He call Himself the Son of Man? Answer
- If Jesus is God, how could he die? If Jesus died on the cross, then how can he be alive today? Answer
- Was Jesus Christ God, manifest in human form? Answer
- JESUS’ CHARACTER—Is Christ’s character consistent with his high claims? Answer
- Could Christ have sinned? Answer
- The Truth
- The Light
- The Word
- Foreknowledge of God
- God’s sovereignty, election, and man’s free will—What does the Bible say? Answer
- Justice of God
- Goodness of God
Where is He?
Communication from or with God
- Word of God
- Decrees of God
- about Jesus Christ
- WHY PRAY?—What’s the Point of Praying?
Actions of God
The existence of God is taken for granted in the Bible. There is nowhere any argument to prove it. He who disbelieves this truth is spoken of as one devoid of understanding (Psalm 14:1).
The arguments generally adduced by theologians in proof of God’s existence are:
The a priori argument, which is the testimony afforded by reason.
The a posteriori argument, by which we proceed logically from the facts of experience to causes. These arguments are:
The cosmological, by which it is proved that there must be a First Cause of all things, for every effect must have a cause.
The teleological, or the argument from design. We see everywhere the operations of an intelligent Cause in nature.
The moral argument, called also the anthropological argument, based on the moral consciousness and the history of mankind, which exhibits a moral order and purpose which can only be explained on the supposition of the existence of God. Conscience and human history testify that “verily there is a God that judgeth in the Earth.”
How can we know there’s a God? Answer
What if the cosmos is all that there is? Answer
If God made everything, who made God? Answer
- Eternal life is with God / Eternal death is completely apart from God
- face of God
- River of God
- God’s Story: From Creation to Eternity
- The HOPE
- How do we know God really exists?
- God’s Origin: If God created everything, who created God?
- ALLAH—Why do many Arab Christians refer to God as “Allah”? Answer
- How do we know the Bible is true? Answer
- How can the Bible be infallible if it was written by fallible humans? Answer
- Why does God allow innocent people to suffer? Answer
About JESUS CHRIST—Answers to frequently-asked-questions
Discover the good news that Jesus Christ offers
- Are you good enough to get to Heaven? Answer
THOUSANDS OF EVANGELISM TIPS—Stumped about how to share your faith in God with others? Our Effective Evangelism section assists Christians in effectively reaching out to others with love and truth. Learn about the worldview of your audience, helpful ways to share the Gospel, read experiences shared by site visitors, and more.