also known as: the second death, eternal separation from God, eternal judgment, eternal punishment, eternal wrath, eternal destruction, eternal fire
Eternal death is the miserable fate of the wicked in Hell.
[they face]…eternal judgment… —Hebrews 6:2 NASB
These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power —2 Thess. 1:9 NASB
…cast into the eternal fire —Matthew 18:8 NASB
Scripture clearly teaches the unending duration of the penal sufferings of the lost; it is “everlasting,” “eternal.” The same Greek words in the New Testament (aion, aionios, aidios) are used to express…
Their condition after casting off the mortal body is spoken of in these expressive words: “Fire that shall not be quenched” (Mark 9:45-46), “fire unquenchable” (Luke 3:17), “the worm that never dies,” the “bottomless pit” (Rev. 9:1), “the smoke of their torment ascending up for ever and ever” (Rev. 14:10-11).
See: the curse of DEATH—the first death and the seond death
At death, do people just wink out and simply cease to exist? Certainly not. The human soul is an eternal. The idea that the “second death” (Rev. 20:14) is, in the case of the wicked, their absolute destruction, their annihilation, has not the slightest support from Scripture, which always represents their future as one of conscious suffering—enduring forever.
The supposition that God will ultimately secure the repentance and restoration of all sinners is equally unscriptural. There is not the slightest trace in all the Scriptures of any such restoration. Sufferings of themselves have no tendency to purify the soul from sin or impart spiritual life.
The atoning death of Christ and the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit are the only means of divine appointment for bringing men to repentance. Now, in the case of them that perish, these means have been rejected, and “there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins” (Hebrews 10:26-27).
About Hell and damnation
- The Final Judgment
- Is there an actual place called “Hell”? Answer
- Why was Hell made? Answer
- Is there anyone in Hell today? Answer
- Will there literally be a burning fire in Hell? Answer
- What should you be willing to do to stay out of Hell? Answer
- What if I don’t believe in Hell? Answer
- Hell—and Sheol, Hades, Gehenna
- What is the one “unpardonable sin” that inevitably sends a person to Hell? Answer
- How can a God of LOVE send anybody to Hell? Answer
- Is the cliché true that God hates the sin, but loves the sinner? Answer about God’s love
- Is the cliché true that there are MANY WAYS to God? Aren’t ALL “RELIGIONS” basically praying to the same God? Answer
- There is only ONE WAY.
- Will ALL mankind eventually be saved? Answer
- Am I GOOD ENOUGH to get to Heaven? Answer
- How good is good enough? Answer
- THE GOOD NEWS—How to be saved from damnation
- What is the eternal destiny of an infant who dies? Answer
- What kind of world would you create? Answer
- How did bad and evil things came to Earth? Answer
- the fall of mankind to evil and depravity
- About ETERNAL LIFE
- Who is the being of light encountered in near-death experiences? Answer
- Is marriage eternal? Answer