and why does it exist?
The whole world lives in the fear of death, to one extent or another.
Your self is not your body
“That the human self involves more than the body is clear to all except the most rigorous material determinists…” —Dr. R.C. Sproul, “The Origin of the Soul,” Tabletalk
Human souls never cease to exist
When considering the subject of death, it is first very important to understand that every Earthly human being consists of 2 most basic parts—a physical body and an invisible soul/spirit. The Earthly body is an arrangement of matter in which your soul temporarily dwells. A human body without a soul is lifeless; it cannot live. Like a husk, the physical body may be damaged, altered, grow old and be burned to smoke and ashes. Regardless of the body’s ultimate demise, you will continue to exist. Your soul is the real you, and it is eternal. It will always exist, because it is sustained by God’s power.
Physical death of humans and animals
Physical death is the effect of sin. It did not exist in the original Creation when Earth was a paradise.
- What kind of world would you create? Answer
- How did bad things come about? Answer
- What is the FALL OF MAN?
- What is SIN?
Physical death is but once (9:27).
It is universal.
By the sweat of your face you will eat bread, till you return to the ground, because from it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return. Genesis 3:19 NASB
Due to the fallen nature of all mankind, our souls are born spiritually dead—slaves to sin.
“…dead in…trespasses and sins …following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience…in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind…” —Ephesians 2:1-3 ESV
See: Spiritual darkness
The Second Death
See: Eternal death
Death of Christ
The death of Christ is the procuring cause incidentally of all the blessings men enjoy on Earth. But especially, it is the procuring cause of the actual salvation of all his people, together with all the means that lead thereto. It does not make their salvation merely possible, but certain (Matthew 18:11; Romans 5:10; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 1:4; 3:13; Ephesians 1:7; 2:16; Romans 8:32-35).
“Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.” —Hebrews 2:14 NASB
How did Jesus Christ die? Answer
“Adam, by God’s design, was the representative for the whole of mankind. What he did affected all of us. The proof: we all sin. The proof: we all die. Adam’s one sin caused all the human race to fall into corruption, sin, and death. This explains life as we know it. …One act by the Lord Jesus Christ offering His life on the cross provides for His people the antidote to Adam’s sin. Adam’s sin brought death to all. Christ’s death brings life to all.” —Dr. John F. MacArthur, Litt.D., D.D., The Master’s Seminary
Jesus Christ, the Death Conqueror
Is Jesus Christ a man, or is he God? Answer
Is Jesus Christ really God? Answer
Was Jesus Christ God, manifest in human form? Answer
If Jesus is God, how could he die? If Jesus died on the cross, then how can he be alive today? Answer
About JESUS CHRIST—Answers to frequently-asked-questions
Discover God’s promise for all people—told beautifully and clearly from the beginning. Discover The HOPE! Watch it on Christian Answers—full-length motion picture.
Will all mankind eventually be saved? Answer
Freedom from the fear of death
- How can I be and feel forgiven? Answer
- How can I be sure of my salvation? Answer
- Can a saved person become lost? Answer
- What is “the unpardonable sin”? How does sin become “unforgivable”? Answer
- FORGIVEN?—If God forgives me every time I ask, why do I still feel so guilty? Answer
- FEAR, Anxiety and Worry—What does the Bible say? Answer
- “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” —John 14:27 LSB
“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.”
Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going. How do we know the way?”
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me. —John 14:1-6 LSB
- “Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.” —Hebrews 2:14-15 LSB
Aspects of death
Various aspects of death are represented in Scripture.
“Thou takest away their breath, they die” (Psalm 104:29).
Being “unclothed” (2 Corinthians 5:3-4).
Death as a punishment
See: Punishments mentioned in the Bible
Care for the physical body after death
Resurrection of the dead
- What is the RESURRECTION OF CHRIST?
- The Resurrection of Jesus
- What is the RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD?
- What are MIRACLES? includes list of Biblical miracles
The soul after physical death
- eternal death
- eternal life
- final judgment
- Who is the being of light encountered in near-death experiences? Answer
What is the eternal destiny of an infant who dies? Answer
Have questions about life before birth, or a woman’s choice about pregnancy and abortion? Discover reliable answers
- SUICIDE—What does the Bible say? Answer
- If a Christian commits suicide, will they go to Heaven? Answer
- Does the Bible support the existence of GHOSTS—dead souls lingering on Earth? Answer
- What is a NECROMANCER?
- What is the OCCULT?
- THE OCCULT—What does the Bible say about it? Answer
What does the Bible say about REINCARNATION?