In this sense, Stephen was the first martyr.
The Greek word so rendered in all other cases is translated “witness.”
- In a court of justice (Matthew 18:16; 26:65; Acts 6:13; 7:58; Hebrews 10:28; 1 Timothy 5:19).
- As of one bearing testimony to the truth of what he has seen or known (Luke 24:48; Acts 1:8, 22; Romans 1:9; 1 Thess. 2:5, 10; 1 John 1:2).
- Persecuted church—Why and how should we pray for suffering Christians? Answer
- perseverance of the saints
- witness of the Spirit
- Antipas—early martyr
- James—a martyr
- Paul—a martyr
- Peter—a martyr
- Polycarp—early bishop and martyr—see: “Polycarp” movie review
- Stephen—first martyr