See this page in: Dutch
His body really did die. The Roman soldiers made sure of that. They were experts at killing people.
Jesus Christ's physical body was 100-percent human, not just part human. Our bodies can die, and so could his. When we die, our physical body dies, but our soul and spirit remain. They are eternal; they never die. The same is true of Jesus Christ. His physical body died, but his inner self is eternal and did not die.
Is Jesus alive today?
Yes, he is. Thousands of people saw him alive again. The Bible is very clear; Jesus Christ's physical body is no longer dead. He is alive today. The Bible records 11 times when people saw him.
How can this be?
Jesus is more than a man. Although he is 100-percent human, he is also 100% God, the Creator of the universe. He is all-powerful. Although evil men killed his physical body, he easily had the power to restore life to his body again.
When his body came alive, he walked out of his tomb, completely healthy and strong.
As you can imagine, when this happened in the darkness, it really frightened the Roman soldiers who were guarding his tomb to keep people away. They were surprised and terrified! It was suddenly very obvious that Jesus was not merely a man. He is God, with power over life and death.
The people of Jerusalem certainly should have known this already. Jesus had proved it many times before. He raised many people from the dead. One was a young girl. Another was a man who had been dead and buried for days.
Here's something else that is wonderful. Did you know that the moment that Jesus Christ's physical body died, he brought many dead people to life in the city of Jerusalem? It's true! The people were alive and healthy again. Many people saw them in the streets and homes of that great city (Matthew 27:52-53), and were so glad to see them again. These were not ghosts (there are no such things). These were living, breathing people, seen by many. They had been dead, some perhaps for years, and now they were alive because of Jesus’ great power!
What will happen when someone you love dies, or when you die?
Here is a fact that is even more amazing! Everyone who dies and is a true follower of Jesus Christ will experience this same, awesome, life-giving power. Jesus will eventually give them their body back again—alive, heathy and strong—a glorious body. Won’t that be wonderful! Millions and perhaps billions of people will be made alive again. Mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, grandparents—every person that is a true follower of Jesus will be alive again—forever.
For all of us who are Christians, death is not permanent. When our loved ones in Christ die, we can know for certain that we will see them alive again.
You can be one of those people! If you haven't already done so. Admit that you are a sinner that has broken the Law and deserves punishment and is lost without him. Accept his free gift of salvation and life. Become a faithful follower of Jesus Christ, the Lord and Giver of Life.
Many other fascinating things to discover about God
- Matthew 27:52 says that “saints which slept arose.” “The saints whose bodies were raised could only have been the men and women who had died in faith before the first coming of Christ. Until Christ set them free, their souls had been resting in that division of Hades called “Abraham's bosom.” (Luke 16:22)” —Dr. Henry Morris, footnote in Defender's Bible
For teachers and parents
- What does the name “Christ” mean? Answer
- What does the name “Jesus” mean? Answer
- How did Jesus die? Answer
- What is crucifixion? Answer
- Is it possible that Jesus did not die, but only fainted on the cross, later recovering from His wounds? Answer
- How do we know Christ really rose from the dead? Answer
- The Resurrection of Christ - What happened? Who saw Jesus alive after his death? Why was his resurrection important? Answer
- Resurrection of the dead
- Is Jesus Christ God? Answer
- How and why did God greatly humble himself? Answer
- God (in our WebBible Encyclopedia)
- Incarnation (in our WebBible Encyclopedia)
- Trinity (in our WebBible Encyclopedia)
- Has science disproved the miracles associated with Jesus Christ? Answer
- Was Jesus Christ only a legend? Answer
- Isn’t the virgin birth of Jesus Christ mythological and scientifically impossible? Answer
- The Law—its purpose (using the Law in evangelism)
- Are you good enough to go to Heaven? Answer
- What is Redemption?
Copyright © 2003, Films for Christ, All Rights Reserved—except as noted on attached “Usage and Copyright” page that grants ChristianAnswers.Net users generous rights for putting this page to work in their homes, personal witnessing, churches and schools.
Article Version: September 14, 2017