What is a…
• δαίμων —transliteration: daimón —meaning: a demon. This Greek word appears once in Scripture.
• δαιμόνιον —transliteration: daimonion —meaning: a demon, an evil spirit. This Greek word appears 60+ times.
They recognize our Lord as the Son of God (Matthew 8:20; Luke 4:41). They belong to the number of those angels that “kept not their first estate,” “unclean spirits,” “fallen angels,” the angels of the devil (Matthew 25:41; Rev. 12:7-9). They are the “principalities and powers” against which we must “wrestle” (Ephesians 6:12).
The word demon(s) does not appear in the King James Bible, which uses the word “devils” instead. The New King James Bible uses the word “demon(s)” in 72 verses.
Their fear of God
Do all demons (devils) fear the one true God? Yes (James 2:19). The Holy Spirit of God is far more powerful than Satan or any demon, and He is the protector of all God’s children (true repentant sinners who believe and follow Christ).
What is the fear of the Lord? Answer
Although good angels are known to sometimes mimic human form in service to God, we know of no occasion in Scripture where a fallen angel (demon/devil) was allowed to appear in physical form. These corrupt spiritual beings are limited by God in what they can do on Earth, less their interference become as overwhelmingly great as they wish.
During the 3½ year period immediately before Christ’s Second Coming, we are warned that some demons will be loosed by God in various ways as a judgment on evil. It appears some may have a physical form.
Worship of demons
For millennia, wicked people have made sacrifices to demons and worshipped them.
They even sacrificed their sons
And their daughters to demons —Psalm 106:37 NASB
Possession of humans
Demons may take possession of some sinners outside the protection of God. During the time of Christ’s life on Judea, there were a great many examples of this. Sometimes, multiple demons inhabit a person. Mary Magdalene had 7 demons (Luke 8:2).
The only exorcist mentioned in the Old Testament is David (1 Samuel 16:23). In the New Testament, Jesus Christ, his Apostles and the seventy the Lord sent throughout Israel for a time (Luke 10) cast out demons through the power of the Holy Spirit. The deliverance of great numbers of people so afflicted was a clear proof of Jesus’ identity—as the Messiah, the Christ, the Son of God.
“There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors… —C.S. Lewis
- DEMON POSSESSION AND INFLUENCE—Can Christians be demon possessed? In what ways can Satan and his demons influence believers?
- MALEVOLENT SPIRITS—Where do these dangerous, hostile, and evil entities come from? Answer
- Is Satan a real person that influences our world today? Is he affecting you?
- What is the unpardonable sin? (discussed in connection with Christ’s casting out of demons)
- familiar spirit
- What is the Occult? Answer
- What does the Bible say about the occult? Answer
- Should Christians participate in Halloween? Answer