The “witch of En-dor” (1 Samuel 28) was a necromancer, i.e., one who feigned to hold converse with the dead. The damsel with “a spirit of divination” (Acts 16:16) was possessed by an evil spirit, or, as the words are literally rendered, “having a spirit, a pithon.” The reference is to the heathen god Apollo, who was regarded as the god of prophecy.
- familiar spirit
- What is the Occult? Answer
- What does the Bible say about the occult? Answer
- SATAN—Is Satan a real person that influences our world today? Is he affecting you? Answer
- DEMON POSSESSSION AND INFLUENCE—Can Christians be demon possessed? In what ways can Satan and his demons influence believers? Answer
- About Wicca and Paganism
- Should Christians participate in Halloween? Answer