ChristianAnswers.Net WebBible Encyclopedia
heirs in the Bible
Under the patriarchs, the property of a father was divided among the sons of his legitimate wives (Genesis 21:10; 24:36; 25:5)—the eldest (firstborn) son receiving a larger portion than the rest.
The Mosaic law made specific regulations regarding the transmission of real property, which are given in detail in Deuteronomy 21:17; Numbers 27:8; 36:6; 27:9-11. Succession to property was a matter of right and not of favor.
Regenerate believers are heirs of…
…an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith… —Hebrews 11:7 ESV
For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith. —Romans 4:13 ESV
- “the promise”
So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath… —Hebrews 6:17 ESV
This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel. —Ephesians 3:6 ESV
And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring [by faith], heirs according to promise. —Galatians 3:29 ESV
For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. —Romans 4:14 ESV
…heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ… —Romans 8:17 ESV
- The Kingdom of God
Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? —James 2:5 ESV
- “the world”
…the promise to Abraham and his offspring [of faith] that he would be heir of the world… —Romans 4:13 ESV
- “joint heirs” with Christ
…if children [of God], heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ… —Romans 8:17 ESV
…if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise… —Gal. 3:29 ESV
Christ, the ultimate heir
Christ is the heir of all things.
Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high… —Hebrews 1:2 ESV
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. —Col. 1:15 NASB
- Firstborn of redemption
- sons of God
- What is the Kingdom of God?
- Are you good enough to be an heir of Christ and therefore get to Heaven? Answer
- How good is good enough? Answer
- Will all mankind eventually be saved? Answer
- Why is the world the way it is? If God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and loving, would He really create a world like this? (filled with oppression, suffering, death and cruelty) Answer
- Discover the good news that Jesus Christ offers
- Do you understand God’s Story? Take a multimedia journey through the Bible, from Creation to eternity. Hear and read an exciting summary of the Bible’s most important records, in chronological order.
- Discover God’s promise—told beautifully and clearly from the beginning. Discover The HOPE! Watch it on Christian Answers
Article Version: June 7, 2019