The Kingdom of God
A brief summary explanation
The Kingdom of God is referred to numerous times in Scripture, but is often somehow misunderstood.
Before the beginning of time and the Creation of our universe, there existed God’s Kingdom. The Triune God was there, and from there is where the Son of God came to Earth, His human body having been created by the Holy Spirit and placed in Mary’s womb.
His dark dominion here began not long after Creation. This was not a surprise or an insurmountable problem for our Creator, the eternal, all-knowing, all-powerful “I Am” who knew all the events of the future from the beginning—including His ultimate victory.
Through the Incarnation, the promised Messiah entered our universe in the form of a pure, sinless man—Jesus Christ. At this 1st Coming of Christ, He came to establish the SPIRITUAL Kingdom of God on Earth, not yet the PHYSICAL Kingdom on Earth. That comes later.
Christ’s 1st Coming produced everything necessary for the beginning of His Spiritual Earthly Kingdom. He proved His identity (see: miracles and Messianic prophecies) and atoned for the sins of all repentant true believers of the past and future. He then physically rose from the dead and appeared to numerous people on Earth, particularly His disciples, teaching and encouraging them and introducing the Church Age.
Then, after completing His mission on Earth, Christ returned to His place with the Father outside of our universe. This realm is also where all true children of God who have died now reside, for through Christ they gained eternal life.
Three stages of The Kingdom of God
It is very important to understand that there are 3 stages in the Kingdom of God. according to the grace and wisdom of our Sovereign God, the 1st had to first be established and built over a period of years. Each starge must be completed before the next stage begins.
- In His First Coming, Christ established…
1. The Spiritual Kingdom of God on Earth
- At His Second Coming, He will establish…
2. The 1000 year Physical Kingdom of God on Earth, which begins with the prophecied “Day of the Lord” (Malachi 4:5; Acts 2:20; 1 Thessalonians 5:2)
- After Christ’s final judgment, He will destroy the universe and reveal…
3. The Eternal Kingdom of God in the New Heavens and New Earth (new pure universe with no sin and no death)
1. Current SPIRITUAL Kingdom of God on Earth
Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” —Mark 1:14-15
No human can enter the following 2 Kingdoms, unless they first enter the spiritual Kingdom of God. It exists now, and all regenerate believers are part of it and are likened to living building stones in the structure (1 Peter 2:5). By God’s grace and mercy, we who have become truly His have changed from being spiritually dead to being spiritually alive (eternally). This is the miracle of the New Birth.
The spiritual Kingdom of God began at the culmination of the 1st Coming of Christ, when His atoning sacrifice for our sins was accomplished. This begins what is often referred to as the Church Age—the period when the body of true children of God is being built. The subjects of this Kingdom—taken collectively—the Church, the body of regenerate believers.
When completed, the NEXT stage follows.
2. Promised PHYSICAL Kingdom of God on Earth
I charge you…that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He will bring about at the proper time—He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen. —1 Timothy 6:13-16 NASB excerpt
This will become a reality at Christ’s 2nd Coming to this Earth at the beginning of the Millennium—beginning at the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ to defeat Satan and his Anti-Christ, physically destroy all the wicked on the Earth, and establish His physical Kingdom on Earth. Only the true children of God can enter this physical Kingdom of God, where Christ the Messiah will rule.
But the Lord abides [or sits as king] forever;
He has established His throne for judgment,
And He will judge the world in righteousness;
He will execute judgment for the peoples with equity. —Psalm 9:7-8 NASB
Then at the end of 1-thousand years, events will culminate in the Final Judgment and the eternal banishment to the bottomless pit (Hell) of Satan, the demons (devils) and all wicked humans who refused to accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Earth and the entire universe will then be destroyed by God in fire—wiping away for all time this place that has been tainted by sin, suffering, pain and death.
…by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. …But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. —2 Peter 3:7, 10 NASB
God’s children will be presevered, apparently in another dimension in the Kingdom of God that existed before Earth was originally created.
3. Promised New Heavens and New Earth
…according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. —2 Peter 3:13 NASB
God reveals that He will destroy Earth and the entire universe at the end of the Millennium—the physical Kingdom of God on this Earth. He will then create a new Earth and universe for us. This will be the ultimate great eternal Kingdom of God where there will be no sin, no tears, and no death—and God’s blessed children will glorify God and never cease to marvel at His holiness, wisdom, love and power, as we enjoy Him forever.
Variations of the term “Kingdom of God”
also known as: Kingdom of Heaven, Kingdom of Christ, Kingdom of Christ and of God, or Kingdom of David
All the following variations denote the same thing, but emphasize different aspects of God’s Kingdom.
“Kingdom of God”
…He said to them, “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, for I was sent for this purpose.” —Luke 4:43 NASB
…seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness… —Matthew 6:33 NKJV
“Kingdom of Heaven”
Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. —Matthew 3:2
From that time Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” —Mark 1:14-15
also: Matt. 4:17
Kingdom of Christ
…She said to Him [Jesus Christ], “Command that in Your kingdom these two sons of mine may sit one on Your right and one on Your left.” —Matthew 20:21 NAS
The Son of Man [Jesus Christ] will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. —Matthew 13:41-42 NASB
“Kingdom of Christ and of God”
“Kingdom of David”
“The Kingdom” —Matthew 13:19
- About the fall of mankind to worldwide depravity
- What is DEATH?
- What is SIN?
- What is regeneration? (being born-again)
- What is eternal life?
- What is eternal death?
- Is Jesus Christ a man, or is he God? Answer
- Coming of Christ
- What is the “FURY” of God?
- THE FEAR OF THE LORD— What is it? Why is it very important to have? Answer
- What does God say about FORGIVENESS OF SIN?
- FORGIVEN?—How can I be and feel forgiven? Answer
- What is SALVATION?
- What is The Millennium?
- What is the Final Judgment?
- Will all mankind eventually be saved? No, here’s why
- What is “the unpardonable sin”? Answer
- Are you good enough to get to Heaven? Answer
- How good is good enough? Answer
- Why is the world the way it is? If God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and loving, would He really create a world like this? (filled with oppression, suffering, death and cruelty) Answer
- Discover the good news that Jesus Christ offers
- Discover God’s promise for all people—told beautifully and clearly from the beginning. Discover The HOPE! Watch it on Christian Answers—full-length motion picture.
- Do you understand God’s Story? Take a multimedia journey through the Bible, from Creation to eternity. Hear and read an exciting summary of the Bible’s most important records, in chronological order.
- What is the GOODNESS OF GOD?
- What is grace?