Common gifts/abilities for effective ministry
In order to fulfill our role in the body of Christ, Believers are given some abilities (gifts), which may include, but are not necessarily limited to, such as the following. All are given by Divine undeserved favor (grace) as part of the plans of God. The Holy Spirit is the source of them all. He chooses them and provides them.
- Faith (the Holy Spirit gives a certain measure of this to ALL true followers of Christ) — even our faith “is the gift of God” (Eph. 2:8)
- Pastors (gift for effective public proclamation)
- Exhorters (effectively call others to obey, follow God’s truth, admonish sinfulness, strengthen, etc.)
- Spiritual shepherds
- Hospitality providers
- Financial supporters (open hearted generosity in support of God’s work, not for personal recognition, but for the glory of God)
- Mercy providers (sympathetic, sensitivity, willingness to help those who are in sorrow or suffering)
- Service providers / Servers (such as deacons and deaconesses)
- Speakers of various languages
- Prayer warriors
- Healers of body and mind
- Prophecy (the Greek word means “speaking forth”) and “does not necessarily mean prediction of the future or any other mystical or supernatural aspects”)
…He [Jesus Christ] Himself gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ, …so that we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming, but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, that is Christ, from whom the whole body, being joined and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the properly measured working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love. —Ephesians 4:11-16 LSB excerpt
For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another, but having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us: whether prophecy, in agreement with the faith; or service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with generosity; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness. —Romans 12:4-8 LSB
Origin of miraculous supernatural gifts
Afterward He [Jesus Christ] appeared to the eleven themselves… And He said to them,
“Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; and they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” —Mark 16:14-18 LSB excerpt
The office of Apostle is a gift of the Holy Spirit.
These were sign gifts, made available to testify to the fact that Jesus Christ is God.
Are these miraculous supernatural gifts normally available today?
These charismata were enjoyed only for a time. They could not continue always in the Church. They were suited to its infancy and to the necessities of those times. —Mathew G. Easton, Easton’s Bible Dictionary
- What is the Holy Spirit?
- What is Pentecost?
- About MIRACLES in the Bible, including a comprehensive list
- MIRACLES—Has science disproved the miracles associated with Jesus Christ? Answer
- Is it logical to believe that the biblical miracles really happened? Answer
- “Miracles are not possible,” some claim. Is this true? Answer
- What is the gift of tongues?
- What is a CHRISTIAN?
- What is a TRUE BIBLICAL CHRISTIAN?
- What does the Bible say about HUMILITY?
- How and why did Jesus greatly humble himself for us? Answer
- What does the Bible say about HYPOCRITES?