Is the Bible truth or tabloid?
If you think about it, some of the stories in the Bible would make good tabloid headlines or talk show topics. But, those who reported the stories expected them to be taken as fact.
Let's look at the New Testament. The reporters of the events knew that these things might cost them their lives. Some ended up in prison for sharing these stories and some even died. The apostle Paul is a good example (Acts 26:24-26).
These Bible stories were witnessed by many people. The events were done in the open and many, throughout history, have died because of their beliefs. Plus, throughout history, many have tried to discredit these writings, but, the stories have stood the test of time.
Unlike myths, legends, and mystery religions, the events recorded in the Bible have happened in the presence of many credible witnesses (2 Peter 1:16). It's also interesting to note that the Bible records eyewitness testimony from women, even though back then, a woman's word was not taken seriously.
Let's look at this from another angle. Some have claimed that Nostradamus is one of the greatest prophets of all time, but, ignore the Bible and its prophecies. Did you know Scripture contains dozens of specific predictions that came true with 100% accuracy (compared to Nostradamus' vague “prophecies” which could be applied to anything). For example, could you find all 48 major prophecies concerning the Messiah fulfilled in any one man? Science says “no”. The chance of that occurring by coincidence is 10 followed by 157 zeros! I'd say those are pretty high odds! But, Jesus is that one man.
Try as you might, there is nothing that even comes close to Scripture (2 Peter 1:20-21).
- How can the Bible be infallible if it is written by fallible humans? Answer
- When we say that the Bible is the Word of God, does that imply that it is completely accurate, or does it contain insignificant inaccuracies in details of history and science? Answer
- Answers to supposed Bible “contradictions” and puzzles
- INTERNAL HARMONY - Answers to a skeptic's questions about whether the Bible's internal harmony is truly evidence of its divine inspiration - Read
- Biblical prophecies
- Creation and science
- Bible archaeology
- Evidence for Jesus Christ
- Our on-line Bible and study tools
Copyright © 1997, Dawson McAllister Live!, All Rights Reserved—except as noted on attached “Usage and Copyright” page that grants ChristianAnswers.Net users generous rights for putting this page to work in their homes, personal witnessing, churches and schools.