also known as: gentleness
The biblical virtue of meekness is not cowardice or a failing of any kind; it is strength and power that is held in check. It is a wise, self-controlled calm mind displaying gentleness, that is not easily provoked. It is closely linked to (and dependent on) wisdom, humility, love and mercy.
Special promises are made to those who maintain this virtuous spirit.
“Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.” —Matthew 5:5
Scripture requires that the Godly cultivate this spirit in their lives.
So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. —Colossians 3:12-13 NASB
Heros of the Bible who sometimes exemplified gentleness
- Jesus Christ said,
“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” —Matthew 11:29 NASB
See: How and why did Christ greatly humble himself for our sake? Answer
- Abraham (Genesis 13)
“…the man Moses was very humble, more than any man who was on the face of the earth…” —Numbers 12:3 NASB
- David (2 Samuel 16:10, 12)
“For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more.” —1 Corinthians 9:19 NASB
- What is HUMILITY—and why is it so important? Answer
- What is MERCY? Answer
- What is GRACE? Answer
- What is GOODNESS? Answer
- For a follower of Christ, what is LOVE—a feeling, an emotion, or an action? Answer
- What is WISDOM? Answer
- Having a gentle spirit does not suggest that the Godly should never be angry. God hates sin and is greatly angered by injustice, and so should be His followers. See: ANGER and JUSTICE OF GOD
- THE FEAR OF THE LORD— What is it? Why is it important and linked to wisdom, humility and gentleness (meekness)? Answer