also known as: Pergamon, Pergamos and Bergama
With its massive idolatrous temples, and even worship of Cesar Augustus as divine here, the city was noted for its wickedness, so much so that our Lord says “Satan’s seat” was there.
Today, the most famous structure from Pergamum is the monumental altar which apparently was devoted to the false Greek dieties Zeus (Roman: Jupiter) and Athena (Roman: Minerva). It is now on display in Berlin’s Pergamon museum. Some have suggested that this altar is the Seat of Satan mentioned in Revelation.
Church in Pergamum
One of the “seven churches” mentioned in the book of Revelation was planted here . It was the northernmost of these churches.
“Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.” —Revelation 1:11 NASB excerpt
“At this regional seat of Rome, the governor had ‘the power of the sword’ to determine life and death. John reminded Christians of this powerful, pagan city that Jesus alone-not the Roman governor-hold all power, including power of life and death.” —“On the Early Church,” “Where Satan Lives,” part of the Faith Lessons video series)
This city stood on the banks of the Caicus River, about 20 miles from the sea. It is now called Bergama (Berghama).
- About idolatry and false goods in the Bible
- About idols in the Bible
- Who is SATAN, the enemy of God and all people? Answer
- Is Satan A REAL PERSON that influences our world today? Is he affecting you? Answer
- SATAN’S STRATEGY—What is one of Satan’s most successful strategies in dealing with followers of Christ? Answer
- What are DEVILS and DEMONS in the Bible
- What is the book of Revelation?
- What is a martyr?
- What is the Church?
- What is Mysia?