the number seven (7) in the Bible
This number occurs frequently in Scripture, and in such connections as lead to the supposition that it has some typical meaning.
SYMBOL—This number has been called the symbol of perfection, and also the symbol of rest.
“Jacob's seven years' service to Laban; Pharaoh's seven fat oxen and seven lean ones; the seven branches of the golden candlestick; the seven trumpets and the seven priests who sounded them; the seven days’ siege of Jericho; the seven churches, seven spirits, seven stars, seven seals, seven vials, and many others, sufficiently prove the importance of this sacred number”
SEVEN IS THE NUMBER OF…
- sacrifice (2 Chronicles 29:21—“seven bullocks, and seven rams, and seven lambs, and seven he goats, for a sin offering for the kingdom”; Job 42:8—“seven bullocks and seven rams”)
- purification (Leviticus 4:6, 17; 8:11, 33; 14:9, 51—“sprinkle… blood seven times”)
- consecration (Leviticus 4:6, 17; 8:11, 33; 14:9, 51—“seventy times seven”)
- forgiveness (Matthew 18:21-22; Luke 17:4)
- reward (Deuteronomy 28:7—“shall… flee before thee seven ways”; 1 Samuel 2:5—“the barren hath born seven”)
- punishment (Leviticus 26:21, 24, 28—“seven times more plagues… will punish you yet seven times for your sins…” ; Deuteronomy 28:25—“flee seven ways”)