(See: Job 40:15-24)
Behemoth means kingly, gigantic beasts. The Bible’s best description of a dinosaur-like animal is recorded in Job chapter 40. “Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the works of God…”(Job 40:15-19) The book of Job is very old, probably written around 2,000 years before Jesus was born. Here God describes a great king of the land animals like some of the biggest dinosaurs, the Diplodocus and Apatosaurus. It was a gigantic plant-eater with great muscles and very strong bones. The long Diplodocus had leg bones so strong that he could have held three others on his back.
The behemoth were not afraid. They did not need to be; they were huge. Their tails were so long and strong that God compared them to cedars—one of the largest and most spectacular trees of the ancient world.
After all the behemoth had died out, many people forgot them. Dinosaurs were extinct and the fossil skeletons that are in museums today did not begin to be put together until about 150 years ago. Today, some people have mistakenly guessed that the behemoth mentioned in the Bible might be an elephant or a hippopotamus. But those animals certainly do not have tails like the thick, tall trunks of cedar trees!
Although it cannot be stated with certainty, it appears that dinosaurs may have actually been mentioned in the Bible. This should not sound so strange. After all, God tells us that He created all the land animals on the 6th day of creation, the same day that he created mankind. Man and dinosaurs lived at the same time. There was never a time when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. From the very beginning of creation, God gave man dominion over all that was made, even over the dinosaurs.
- Are you dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible? (illustrated) GO… (a children’s version is also available—GO…)
- What is the leviathan mentioned in the Bible? (sea monsters) Answer
- ORIGIN—Where did the dinosaurs come from? Answer
- WHY did dinosaurs become EXTINCT? Answer
- NOAH’S ARK—Did Noah take dinosaurs on the Ark? audio included Answer
- LIVING WITH DINOSAURS—What would it have been like to live with dinosaurs? Answer
- Why did God create dinosaurs? GO…
- The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible—our fun-filled multimedia presentation about dinosaurs and their place in history—GO…