In the Bible, what is…
Various oils were available, to one degree or another, in ancient times: olive oil, fish oil, tallow and various other animal fat derived oils, sesame oil, nut oils, radish seed oil, colocynth seed oil, cottonseed oil, balsam oil, rose oil, and petroleum.
- anointing the body or the hair (Exodus 29:7; 2 Samuel 14:2; Psalm 23:5; 92:10; 104:15; Luke 7:46)
- in some of the offerings (Exodus 29:40; Leviticus 7:12; Numbers 6:15; 15:4), but was excluded from the sin-offering (Leviticus 5:11) and the jealousy-offering (Numbers 5:15)
- burning in lamps (Exodus 25:6; 27:20; Matthew 25:3)
- medicinal purposes (Isaiah 1:6; Luke 10:34; James 5:14)
- anointing the dead (Matthew 26:12; Luke 23:56)
It was very abundant in Galilee.