What is Evolution?
Evolutionists say that Evolution is a naturally occurring process of change which produces increasing complexity in the universe. Evolutionists believe that life began billions of years ago with simple forms of life which became more complex through time. In other words, single-celled creatures evolved into multicellular creatures and ultimately into fishes, amphibians, reptiles, and mammals.
EVOLUTIONISM IS A COMMON BELIEF. Why do so many people believe in Evolution?
Recommended resources for this study…
One of the main reasons why many people beleive in Evolution is that it attempts to explain the existence of everything without the necessity of God.
If there is not God, there is no sin. And there is no Hell. There is no master to whom we are ultimately responsible for our actions. Therefore, every man can do what is right in his own eyes. This is one of the attractive things about Evolutionism.
Of course, many people believe in Evolution because it is the only scientific concept or origins ever taught to them. They know little or nothing about evidences for Creation and evidences against Evolutionism.
Althought the public is generally led to believe that all scientists accept Evolution, the truth is quite different. There are thousands of scientists who believe in a Creator.
- Is there an actual place called “Hell”? Answer
- Do real scientists believe in Creation? Answer
- Why do so many scientists endorse Evolution? Answer
- How is it possible for reasonable, intelligent, well-educated people to hold such diametrically opposite views as Evolutionism and Creationism? Answer
BIG BANG ORIGINS. How do Evolutionists explain the origin of the universe?
Evolutionists have many different beliefs concerning the origin of the universe. One of the most common is referred to as the “big bang.” According to this theory all of the matter and energy in the universe were once concentrated in a single spot. For some unknown reason, this matter suddenly exploded. It is stated that stars, galaxies and planets developed out of this explosion over the past 20 billion years.
- Was there a big bang? Answer
- Are we made of stardust? Answer
- What is progressive creationism? Answer
DO CHANCE PROCESSES CREATE ORDER? Rather than being totally random and chaotic in construction, the cosmos is abundant with order. What does this imply? How does this relate to the big bang theory?
The orderliness in our universe can not be attributed to chance. It seems obvious that there is a mind behind the beauty and careful design we see in our world. Uncontrolled explosions destory complexity and produce disorder.
It would be ridiculous to believe that an exploding mountain could accidentally spew debris in just the right way to form a city. Is it not even more incredible to believe that an explosion produced every wondrous galaxy, planet, and physical law—and ultimately every beautiful creature and plant?
The orderliness of our universe implies that it was formed by means of a creator—and for some purpose.
IMPLICATIONS FROM NATURAL LAWS. 2nd law of Thermodynamics: what is it—and what is the implication for Evolutionsim?
The 2nd law of Thermodynamics describes basic principles familiar in everyday life. One of these is that throughout time, the universe's order and the amount of usable energy has been decreasing. Ultimately, everything falls apart and disintegrates over time. If the process continued long enough, all of the usable energy would be gone. Our universe is “running down.” We know this for certain; it is a well-established law of science.
Yet, Evolutionists require an opposite universe, one in which there is increasing complexity and order. Evolutionism requires a continuing trend in which trillions of things are caused to become more ordered and complex.
In the real world, a continuing trend of upward evolution appears to be quite impossible. Evolutionism runs head-on into a universal law of nature—the downward force of universal decay, the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
- Second Law of Thermodynamics - Does this basic law of nature prevent Evolution? Answer
BIBLICAL AUTHORITY. Is the Bible authoritative only in religious matters?
No, the Bible is inspired by God (“God-breathed,” II Timothy 3:16). Therefore, it is authoritative in all matters that it addresses. The Bible is not the only source of truth, but everything in it is truth!
- How can I know if the Bible is true? Answer
- Can the Bible be infallible if it is written by fallible humans? Answer
- Is the Bible completely accurate, or does it contain some inaccuracies about history and science? Answer
- Hasn't Evolution disproved the Bible? Answer
- Should Genesis be taken literally? Answer
- Read the Bible online—Web Bible GO
BIBLICAL ACCURACY AND SCIENCE. In this century, through scientific methods, man has discovered many facts about our world which had been hidden since the beginning of time. Are there any examples of scientific facts that were recorded in Scripture long before modern science?
- Ancient cities, places, peoples and kings which had long been forgotten have been rediscovered in modern times. These were mentioned long ago in the Bible. Formerly, many had scoffed at the Bible and assumed that these places and peoples were imaginary. Most archaeologists now have great respect for the accuracy of references in the Bible.
- Man-made structures mentioned in the bible - Have archaeologists found any? Answer
- Tower of Babel - Is there archaeological evidence for it? Answer
- Noah's Ark - Has anyone really discovered it? Answer
- Has the Garden of Eden ever been found? Answer
- More Bible Archaeology questions GO
- "Paths of the seas" (currents) (Psalm 8:8)
- One example was mentioned in the film. God told Abraham that his descendants would be like the stars in the heavens or the dust of the Earth. Abraham, not having a telescope, could have distinguished only a few thousand stars. Yes, God compared the number of the stars to the sand of the seashores (Genesis 22:17, Jeremiah 33:22, Hebrews 11:12).
Due to modern optical and radio telescopes, astronomers now understand the accuracy of this comparison. It has been calculated that there are about 1025 sand-sized particles on the Earth. Already scientists have actually photographed an estimated 1022 stars—and this appears to be only the beginning.
God created them, He has counted them, and the Bible says He has even named each of them (Psalm 147:4; cf. Isaiah 40:26). Try to imagine our Creator's enormous power.
- How many stars are known to exist? Answer
- Is every star different? Answer
- Creation SuperLibrary astronomy question index GO
WHY DID GOD CREATE STARS?
In God's wisdom, He knew that man would need stars to determine time and direction. We need a general understanding of time to understand our own finiteness, and direction is important to understand the world around us.
Have you ever sat and stared up into the night sky? What if there were no stars up there—only deep, unending blackness? The stars are a comfort. They are a daily reminder of God's power, love and wisdom. Laying back and watching the heavens can be very soothing. Many people say they are reminded that there is more to this life than their everyday problems.
It will be very interesting to learn from God Himself, in the new heavens and new Earth, the full extent of His wondrous purposes for man and the stars.
Psalms 8:3 tells us that the heavens are the work of God's “fingers.” It is easy to be in worshipful awe of a God so powerful that stars are merely “finger” work.
- Creation SuperLibrary astronomy question index GO
Author: Paul S. Taylor of Films for Christ. ORIGINS video series is produced and copyrighted by Films for Christ.
Copyright © 2000, Films for Christ, All Rights Reserved—except as noted on attached “Usage and Copyright” page that grants ChristianAnswers.Net users generous rights for putting this page to work in their homes, personal witnessing, churches and schools.
Christian Answers Network
PO Box 1167
Marysville WA 98270-1167 Submit your Questions