also known as: The Global Deluge, The Genesis Flood and Noah’s Flood
Reason for judgment
The reason for this Divine judgment was the absolution corruption and wicked violence that filled the Earth by the time of the 9th generation from Adam. God in righteous indignation determined to purge the Earth of the ungodly. Amid a world filled with evil, there was one household that continued faithful and true to God—the household of Noah.
At the command of God, Noah made an ark 300 cubits long, 50 broad, and 30 high. He slowly proceeded with this work during a period of 120 years (Genesis 6:3). At length, the purpose of God began to be carried into effect.
Here is a list of the order of events as they occurred.
Tops of the mountains visible on the first day of the 10th month (Genesis 8:5).
The ground becomes dry on the 1st day of the 1st month of the new year (Genesis 8:13).
Flood confirmed by other Biblical authors
The historical truth of the narrative of the Flood is established by the references made to it by our Lord (Matthew 24:37; compare Luke 17:26). Peter speaks of it also (1 Peter 3:20; 2 Peter 2:5). In Isaiah 54:9 the Flood is referred to as “the waters of Noah.” It swept away all men living except Noah and his family, who were preserved in the ark; and that the present human race is descended from those who were thus preserved.
Global Flood recorded in traditions and legends throughout the world
Traditions of the Deluge are found among all the great divisions of the human family; and these traditions, taken as a whole, wonderfully agree with the Biblical narrative, and agree with it in such a way as to lead to the conclusion that the Biblical is the authentic narrative, of which all these traditions are corrupted versions. The most remarkable of these traditions is that recorded on tablets prepared by order of Assur-bani-pal, the king of Assyria. These were, however, copies of older records which belonged to somewhere about B.C. 2000, and which formed part of the priestly library at Erech, “the ineradicable remembrance of a real and terrible event.”
Answers to frequently asked questions
- a short summary of key events in the biblical record of NOAH AND THE FLOOD
- Where did the Flood water come from? Answer
- Where did the Flood water go afterwards? Answer
- Does the Bible claim that the Flood of Noah covered the entire Earth? Answer
- Could Noah’s Ark really hold ALL THE ANIMALS that needed to be preserved? Answer
- How did various animals get from the Ark to isolated places, such as Australia? Answer
- How did all the HUMAN ETHNIC PEOPLE GROUPS come from Noah, his 3 sons and their wives? Answer
- How did FISH survive the Flood? Answer
- How did LAND PLANTS survive the Flood? Answer
- Was there a thick water vapor canopy in the pre-Flood world? Answer
- Did Noah need oxygen above the mountains? Answer
- Is the BLACK SEA FLOOD the same as the flood of Genesis? Answer
- Can you explain the relationship between the Genesis record and ancient Near Eastern stories about Creation and the Flood Answer (an introduction)
- What does the fossil record teach us? Answer
- Has the Garden of Eden ever been found? Answer
- Where are all the human fossils? Answer
- What is “Gopher Wood?” Answer
Who is NOAH? Answer
Who is MRS. NOAH? Answer
- Who are the SONS OF NOAH? Learn about Shem, Ham, and Japheth—the source of our modern human population
- What are PATRIARCHS? Answer
- What is the ARK OF NOAH? Answer
- What are JUDGMENTS OF GOD? Answer