also known as: Neri (Luke 3:27), Jechoniah (in the New Revised Standard Version), Jeconiah (1 Chronicles 3:16), Coniah (an abbreviation of Jeconiah) (Jeremiah 22:24), Jehoiachin, Jekonjah and Yaukin, King of Judah (in The Ration Tablets discovered in ancient Babylon)
Jechonias is one of the Judean kings in the legal ancestry of Jesus Christ, through his foster-father Joseph, a descendant of King David (Matthew 1:16)
See: Matthew 1:11-12
“It was Jechoniah whose sins caused God to cut his seed off from ever sitting on David's throne (Jeremiah 22:24-30). …Jechoniah's royal line of descendants is listed here [in the genealogy of Matthew 1] to show the legal right of Joseph, the foster father of Jesus, to David's throne (Matthew 1:16). Neither Joseph nor any others of Jechoniah's seed could ever have the spiritual right to the throne. That right must be carried through Mary's ancestry” (Dr. Henry M. Morris, The Defender's Study Bible, note for Matt. 1:11.).
“Coniah is an abbreviation of Jeconiah (1 Chronicles 3:16), which is another form of the name Jehoiachin (2 Kings 24:6). Coniah was the last king of Judah in the direct line from King David. When he was deported to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar (2 Chronicles 36:10), Coniah's uncle Zedekiah was assigned to rule Judah for a brief reign, but he also was put down, and no later king was ever able to regain the throne” (Dr. Henry M. Morris, The Defender's Study Bible, note for Jeremiah 22:24.).
See Jeremiah 22:24-30 and 33:15-17.
For more information about this man, see Jehoiachin.
- Who are the Davidic kings?
- What is the line of lineage from David to Jesus Christ, through Joseph the adoptive father of Jesus?
- What is the line of lineage from David to Jesus Christ, through Mary?
- Who is King Jeconiah (aka Jechonias, Jehoiachin, Jekonjah, Coniah, Neri?
- What is the Kingdom of Judah?
- What is the Tribe of Judah?
- What is Jerusalem?
- What are the exiles?
- Who is King Nebuchadnezzar?
- What is Babylon / Babel?
- What is the Kingdom of Babylon?
- What are tablets?
- What is cuneiform writing?
- What and who is the promised Messiah?
- Who is King Baasha whose throne was forever cut-off?