son of Shem, born two years after the Deluge
He died at the age of 438 years (Genesis 11:10-13; 1 Chronicles 1:17-18; Luke 3:36).
He dwelt in Mesopotamia, and became, according to the Jewish historian Josephus, the progenitor of the Chaldeans. The tendency is to recognize in the word the name of the country nearest the ancient domain of the Chaldeans. Some regard the word as an Egypticized form of the territorial name of Ur Kasdim, or Ur of the Chaldees.
- Grandfather: Noah
- Father: Shem
- Mother: not named
- Brothers: not named or numbered
- Sisters: not named or numbered
- Sons: Salah and others
- Daughters: not named or numbered in the Bible
- Grandsons: Eber and others
- Great-grandson: Peleg and others
- Great-great-grandson: Reu and others
- Other notable descendants included: Abram