|Faith | Directory | Contact
“In every instance where the findings of archaeology pertain to the Biblical record, the archaeological evidence confirms, sometimes in detailed fashion, the historical accuracy of Scripture. In those instances where the archaeological findings seem to be at variance with the Bible, the discrepancy lies with the archaeological evidence, i.e., improper interpretation, lack of evidence, etc.—not with the Bible.”
—Dr. Bryant C. Wood, archaeologist, Associates for Biblical Research
Disclaimer: By necessity, not all of the answers provided are complete and exhaustive. Although all Christian Answers Network Team Member organizations are in close general agreement in their interpretation of the Bible, the individual views expressed are, of course, those of the authors, and do not necessarily represent the views of all Team organizations.
DO YOU KNOW?
What Bible archaeology discovery has had the all-time greatest impact? ANSWER
- Reliability of the Bible—In what ways have archaeological discoveries verified it?
- How does archaeology conclusively demonstrate the Bible to be reliable and unique among all the holy books of world religions? Answer
- Confirmation of Biblical events—Is there any from written sources outside the Bible?
A number of extra-Biblical confirmations show that the Bible may be more accurate than many believe.
- Burial Sites—Have the graves of any people in the Bible been found?
A look at archeological discoveries of the tombs of many biblical figures.
- Have any likenesses been found of persons named in the Bible?
Biblical accuracy is demonstrated by the amazing discoveries of images of people named in the Bible.
- Man-made structures mentioned in the bible—Have archaeologists found any?
You’ll be amazed at the number of possibilities that have been unearthed in recent years that seem to verify the existence of numerous Biblical structures.
- Did the high priest really enter the Holy of Holies with a ROPE tied around his ankle? Answer
Discover the evidence about this popular, but erroneous story.
- How does one become a biblical archaeologist?
We've all heard of biblical archaeologists, but what courses are necessary to become one? What schools are available that offer this type of education?
Lost Day? Long Day?
- Has the Garden of Eden ever been found? Answer
Many Christians naively assume that the Garden of Eden was located near the modern Tigris and Euphrates rivers.
- Evidences for Creation
- Origin of humans
- Dinosaurs and the Bible
- Scientific questions about the Bible
- Noah's Ark—Has anyone really discovered it? Answer
Over the last two decades the search for Noah's Ark has received international attention. Dozens of expeditions to the Ararat region of eastern Turkey have occurred, but have any of them produced solid evidence for the existence of Noah's Ark?
- Did Noah need oxygen above the mountains? Answer
If mountain climbers need oxygen tanks to climb Mount Everest, how were Noah, his family, and the animals able to breathe on the Ark when they were above the mountains?
- Evidences for the worldwide flood of Noah's day Go
- What is “Gopher Wood”? Answer
Gopher wood is only mentioned once in the Bible in connection with the construction of the Ark (Genesis 6:14). What is it?
- Tower of Babel—Is there any reference to the confusion of languages in early Mesopotamian literature? Answer
- Tower of Babel—Is there archaeological evidence for it? Answer
Also discusses the reasons, methods, and culture surrounding the building of the Tower of Babel, plus research into the building of other ziggurats.
- Who is Abraham?
- Ur, Northern
- Tel Haran
- Sin, the moon god
- Tel Dan (Leshem)
- Valley of Siddim
- Who and what is Canaan?
- Isaac and Ishmael
- Mount Moriah
- Have the BURIAL SITES of any people in the Bible been found? Answer
- Sepulchres and Tombs of the Bible
Old Testament Israel
- Has the Canaanite city of Ai been found (destroyed by Joshua)? Answer
- Slings and stones in the Bible. Scripture indicates these were important and deadly military weapons. Has modern archaeology shed light on this part of the ancient arsenal? Answer
- What have archaeologists discovered about the biblical city of HAZOR? Answer
site of conquests, triumphs, sin, defeat and major earthquake
- Dead Sea Scrolls—What is their importance? Answer
Learn what lead to the magnificent story-book discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, read a description of the Scrolls, and understand the doctrine of the Scrolls.
- What can 792 teeth tell archaeologists about ancient Israelites? Answer
Learn the amazing tale of ancient people buried in a tomb eight miles north of Jerusalem.
- Ark of the Covenant, lost or found? Answer
Long pondered by the community of Biblical scholarship, the rest of the world began considering this question with the release of the hit motion picture Raider's of the Lost Ark. Where could it be now?
- Ark of the Covenant—Where has it been? Answer
The Lost Ark is still lost—but now we know where it has been! Find out what some scholars believe has been the path of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Sodom and Gomorrah—Is there any evidence to suggest that the Biblical story of the destruction by fire and brimstone (sulfur) actually took place? Answer
- The Sons of Jacob—Is there archaeological evidence for these tribal leaders? Answer
Various archaeological findings may support evidence for the existence of Jacob's sons: Dan, Gad, Asher, and Judah.
- Israelites in Egypt—What evidence is there? And has Joseph's original tomb been found? Answer
A look at the archaeological findings around the land of Rameses, including the Israelites residence and possible find of the home and burial site of Joseph.
- Joseph—Is there evidence that he really existed just as the Bible said? Answer
Interesting new discoveries give insight to the Biblical account of Joseph, the Hebrew ruler of Egypt.
- Egyptian king, Shishak—What evidence has been discovered? Answer
Shishak is the first Egyptian king to be mentioned by name in the bible and the first foreign king in the Bible for whom we have extra-Biblical evidence. See how archaeology continues to strengthen our faith in the accuracies of the Scriptures.
- Balaam, the Prophet—Is there evidence to prove his existence? Answer
A 1967 discovery supports the existence of Balaam, Son of Beor and prophet who was sent to curse the Israelites.
- Moabite Stone—What does it reveal about the revolt of Mesha? Answer
What does the record from Mesha (known as the Mesha Inscription or Moabite Stone) reveal about the events surrounding the revolt of Mesha as recorded in 2 Kings 3?
- Jericho—Is the Bible accurate concerning the destruction of its walls? Answer [UPDATED]
Much evidence has been uncovered confirming the biblical record.
- Has the biblical city and story of Jericho been verified? Answer
ANSWER FOR KIDS: Did the walls of Jericho really fall? Answer
- Samson and the Philistines—Did it really happen? Answer
In the story of Samson it says he pulled down an entire temple. Have archaelogists uncovered any information about the validity of this?
- King David, real or a myth? Answer
- TEL DAN STELE — Learn about the 9th century B.C. inscribed stone which mentions David and other Bible details
New Testament times
- Christ's boat?—Did Jesus really sit on this boat on the Sea of Galilee?
Archaeological find reveals a boat similar to those described during the times of Jesus. Could this be one of the boats where Jesus sat?
- CAPERNAUM—This ancient town played a very significant role in Jesus Christ's ministry. Have archaeologists confirmed its existence? What amazing things did Jesus do here? What can we learn from this town's terrible mistake? Find the answers and enjoy the discoveries!
- When did the Luke 2 census occur? Answer
How can the Bible be correct when claiming that a census decreed by Rome's Caesar Augustus occurred at the time of Jesus' birth?
- Born in a stable? —Christ’s birth
- The Cross—On what kind of a cross was Jesus crucified?
There were three different kinds of Roman crosses used during the days of Jesus. What type was used to crucify Jesus?
- Inscription on the Cross—Why do all four Gospels contain different versions?
Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John: they all chronicle the life and death of Jesus Christ. But how can the supposed differences in the inscriptions about the head of Jesus at His crucifixion be explained?
- INRI—What do these letters appearing on the crucifix mean?
- Have archaeologists discovered evidence of James, the brother of Jesus? (the James ossuary) Answer
- Paul’s Cyprus Travels—What has archaeology revealed?
What are some of the cities that Paul and Barnabas travelled to (Acts 13:4-12)? What did they see along the way during the routes that they used?
- Western Wall Tunnel—What's the truth about this controversial tunnel beneath the Moslem Temple Mount in Jerusalem?
Much interest was focused upon Jerusalem during the violent riots in September of 1996. What can we believe from the news media?